Sara took Ike to meet some very important guys when at Sunderland AFC ground. Bob Stokoe, a manager when they won the FA Cup in 1973. As well as Samson and Delilah, Sunderland’s mascots.
The Stadium of Light was built on the site of Monkwearmouth colliery which closed in 1993. When it opened in 1835 it was the deepest coal mine in the world being 1578 ft. There are various reminders around the stadium, including this pit wheel. Monkwearmouth was a major North Sea coal mine located on the north bank of the River Wear, Sunderland. It was first opened in 1835 and the mine was the last to remain operating in the County Durham Coalfield. The last shift ended over 800 years of commercial coal mining in the region.
To end Ike’s day he found places have fabulous gourmet delicacies. Sunderland has the pink slice which is raspberry jam sandwiched between two layers of pastry with pink coloured icing on top.